Massachusetts Helps Lead the Transition to Bioheat® Fuel
From the domestic production to the full-service local dealers, Bioheat® offers many benefits to Massachusetts’s homeowners and businesses who rely on heating oil for their energy source. With Bioheat®, your heating oil system will use less fuel while maintaining high standards of warmth and comfort.
For more information, visit www.mybioheat.com.
Bioheat® is Safe
When it comes to your home and family, you want your heating system to be as safe and reliable as possible. Here are ways in which Bioheat® fuel helps ensure safety and dependability:
- No heating equipment modifications are needed to use Bioheat®.
- Biodiesel blends provide added lubricity and are lower in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Like heating oil, Bioheat® fuel is not explosive in its liquid form.
- There are visible warnings if there is a heating system malfunction. With Bioheat® fuel-fired home heating systems, carbon monoxide leaks rarely happen without warning. If a system should malfunction, it will release smoke or soot so that you know something is wrong.
- Today’s heating oil storage tanks are made of state-of-the-art materials. Whether your fuel storage tank is in your basement or outside, today’s tanks are composed of state-of-the-art steel and fiberglass — many with double walls of plastic and steel and sensors — and should last for decades.
Bioheat® is Efficient
Today’s heating systems are more efficient than ever before and can save homeowners up to 40 percent or more in fuel usage. Look for the EPA’s ENERGY STAR® label when purchasing new heating equipment.
- New heating systems now boast efficiency ratings of 95 percent.
- Recent studies funded by NYSERDA show fuel savings as high as 48.3 percent when replacing an outdated boiler with a new, high-efficiency boiler.
- Heating equipment is constantly evolving to incorporate advancements in efficiency and comfort. Many new boilers are designed to use weather-responsive controls that greatly reduce fuel usage during mildly cold weather and provide a more even heat with fewer temperature swings.
Installing programmable or wireless thermostats to automate your home temperature settings may reduce your usage by as much as 10 percent.
Bioheat® is Clean
Thanks to advancements like ultra-low sulfur heating oil, home heating is now cleaner than ever. Plus, more and more homes are beginning to use Bioheat® fuel, which is even cleaner and better for the environment.
- Today’s Bioheat® fuel burns cleaner, reducing greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) of Sulfur, Nitrogen Oxides and Carbon Dioxide.
- Bioheat® fuel is kind to the environment. In fact, residential Bioheat® fuel-fired heating equipment is not even regulated under the Federal Clean Air Act.
- Bioheat® fuel storage is safe, reliable and convenient. Today’s tanks are designed with corrosion-resistant materials and can last for many years. New technology allows for remote monitoring and helps to ensure that you always have a sufficient supply of fuel on hand.
Bioheat® is Domestic
If you think that America gets most of its petroleum from overseas, think again. America now produces more oil domestically than it imports, and U.S. biodiesel production helps create jobs and support the economy, both locally and nationally.
- In 2014, the U.S. produced 8.66 million barrels of oil per day, more than it has in any year since 1971.
- Bioheat® fuel is an American-made, clean, green and plentiful energy source that drives our country closer toward energy independence.
- Biodiesel blends at 5 percent (B5 Bioheat® fuel) would equal approximately 300 million gallons of Bioheat® fuel produced each year, resulting in thousands of well-paying jobs.
- Bioheat® fuel dealers are part of the community. Most full-service dealers live in or near the communities they serve, and are active, integral members of their community.
Bioheat® is Abundant
Some people mistakenly assume that oil supplies are running low, but this is simply not the case. There’s an abundant and reliable supply of Bioheat® fuel, more than enough to heat your home for many years to come.
- Crude oil is produced in 31 states and more than 50 countries. The U.S. is not dependent on any one country or region for its oil supply.
- The U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve has a capacity of 727 million barrels and is the largest stockpile of government-owned emergency crude oil in the world.
- The Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve is a one million-barrel supply of ultra-low sulfur heating oil for homes and businesses in the Northeast.
- Domestically produced Bioheat® fuel (made by blending heating oil with American-made biodiesel) is pushing our country closer than ever toward energy independence.
Biodiesel production supports $16.8 billion in total economic impact, more than 62,000 jobs, and $2.6 billion in wages paid.
Bioheat® is Independent
With Bioheat® fuel, you get more than just a responsible, reliable source of warmth. You achieve personal energy independence by safely storing your own fuel and conveniently choosing from a large network of independent local dealers.
- Independent dealers offer many delivery options such as automatic delivery, will call, and cash-on- delivery (COD).
- Full-service dealers provide equipment sales, installations, maintenance, and in many cases, 24/7 emergency service.
- Fuel storage tanks give you the ability to safely store the fuel your home will need, for whenever you might need it.
- Domestically produced Bioheat® fuel brings our country closer than ever toward energy independence.
Bioheat® is Renewable
Heating oil has evolved into Bioheat® fuel, an environmentally responsible blend of ultra-low sulfur heating oil and biodiesel made from renewable resources like soybean oil. According to recent studies:
- Bioheat® fuel lowers maintenance, improves efficiency and reduces pollution from heating systems.
- Bioheat® fuel blends containing 10 percent (B10) or higher are lower in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Bioheat® fuel blends up to B20 can be used with existing heating oil equipment to achieve performance equivalent to conventional heating oil.
- Bioheat® fuel helps to support our nation’s farmers and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.